Friday 1 July 2011

60 degree eggs

My Thermomix was delivered yesterday, so after making my first dish, a delicious lamb curry, in it last night (it was a cold wintery night) i awoke excited to try it out again.
In my consultant training class is a guy who said the Thermomix is great for making boiled eggs with a perfectly centred yolk, alarm bells went off in my mind! Of course it is. Herve This says the way for a chef to make a boiled egg with a perfectly centered yolk is to place the egg on its side on a wooden spoon, submerge it in boiling water and then continue to roll it back and forth so as the white coagulates the yolk will not have risen to one side, hence a centered yolk.
So I thought I can use two techniques in one with the Thermomix. Of course I cannot get the accuracy of 63.5 degrees as Robuchon states is the perfect temperature, however i placed my eggs in the basket of my Thermomix, set the temperature to 60 degrees, turned on the blades so the water is now spinning and rolling the eggs, and cooked for 30 minutes.
As it was my first attempt I was happy, I think next time i will finish the last 5 minutes on 70 deg and see how it turns out, also i cracked the eggs straight onto the toast, a mistake, i have since seen a video where Robuchon cracks it into a ss bowl then lifts it out with the spoon, leaving behind the thin albumen, for a much nicer presentation.
As for the centered yolk part, ill have to test this theory again with harder boiled eggs.
....the adventure continues.




Well finally there has been a 'next time'.  I pretty much forgot about my 60 degree eggs until I was doing a commercial delivery and one of the chefs enquired as to the possibilities.  I had since re-read a Khymos blog in relation to the eggs, which had also noted the perfect temperature was pretty much 63degreesC.  As the Thermomix only gives accuracy to the nearest 10 degrees had I abandoned the idea until this recent enquiry got me back on track.  I have since found two Thermomix recipes for slow cooked eggs, one of which I tried this morning, with fantastic results.  Almost fill TM to maximum line with tap water.  Add eggs to basket and set for 60C, 45 minutes, speed 3.  And as mentioned before for best presentation always crack the egg into a bowl first, then scoop out with a spoon leaving behind the loose albumen.  I was using 58g eggs from the fridge, however I didn't weight them and they must have differed ever so slightly, but enough to yield noticeably different results.  Both delicious though!

Egg no.1

Egg no.2    


At first glance I decided egg no.1 was ever so slightly under, and egg no.2 was perfect.  I then took a few photos of egg no.2 and we ate them.  This was when I realised actually egg no.1 was perfect.  They were both silky soft but egg no.2 yolk was just starting to change texture and thicken.  I guess it all depends at the end of the day on what your idea of a perfect soft cooked egg is, but for restaurant service I would say Id still prefer egg no.2 as it presented so beautifully.

Next time?....
I would get up early and place water and eggs in TM and set 40 minutes 60C, speed 3 then go back to bed.
When it beeps I will get up and hold the eggs at 50C, speed 3 and start making cups of tea, toast, whatever else.  I figure the egg will be still be at 60 for a few minutes at the water gradually cools.  In the morning its all about timing and ease.  I don't know about you but my brain doesn't function until the caffeine kicks in so if I can have a delicious breakfast on automatic pilot then I'm set for a good day. :O)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Michelle.

    I tried it in our thermy today and I think I made a major failing - not spinning at 3. I set it to 1 instead. Also cooked for 60 mins, but the white was too hard, I think I over cooked them! Till next time...

    ReplyDelete