Sunday 10 July 2011

Lip smucking good

Yesterday I went for a big run, then Rory used the thermomix for the first time and made pumpkin soup. He just followed the recipe in the everyday cookbook and it was delicious!. Also he was very impressed with the machine. At one point he chopped the vegies for about 2 seconds on speed 7, stopped and took the lid off for a look and said 'Wow!'. I said 'are you being sarcastic?' but he wasnt, in just 2 seconds everything had chopped into perfectly even pieces, something he had never seen before.
So anyway after the run, and then the soup I was sitting on the couch feeling far too healthy and started dreaming about Smucker's chocolate fudge sauce. My first ever cooking job was with the Lonestar steakhouse chain and they were well known for their chocolate brownie with icecream and warm chocolate fudge sauce. It still remains the best, in my mind anyway because its been years since Ive eaten it, but Im not the only one. For those who know of it would agree its the best. Chocolatey, almost chewy, sweet, warm fudge sauce. So I asked google what was in it?

Ingredients:

NONFAT MILK, CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, SOYBEAN OIL, COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, COCOA, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: FULLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, CORN STARCH- MODIFIED, MONOGLYCERIDES, SALT, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM CITRATE, SALT, VANILLIN (ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR), TBHQ (ANTIOXIDANT).

Hmmm, no wonder it tastes so good. Ok so I think I have re-invented Smucker's using all pronounceable ingredients, here goes

400g Sweetened condensed milk (Ingredients: milk, sugar.)
3 Tbs pure dutch cocoa
100g 70% chocolate, Lindt (Ingredients: cocoa mass, sugar, cocoa butter, natural vanilla)
1 Tbs glucose syrup
Chuck it all in the thermomix and cook on 70deg for 4 minutes. If you want to be really bad try adding some butter, I havent tried it yet but I have a feeling it might just be amazing.

I ate this last night on top of some of the left over strawberry rosewater icecream from the day before, it was like eating a turkish delight bar only way, way better.
the adventure continues...

1 comment:

  1. Word to the wise!

    I just read that antioxidant TBHQ is

    "Linked to cancer, birth defects and can cause nausea, vomiting, delirium, collapse, and dermatitis. Dose of 5g is fatal - avoid it."

    ReplyDelete